[mythtv-users] Inexpensive, preassembled, VDPAU-friendly frontends

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Dec 1 02:50:12 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2008, at 5:05 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
>
>> Scott D. Davilla <davilla at 4pi.com> says:
>>> Just an update to testing VDPAU under the atom 330 and a PCI nvidia
>>> 8400. All I can say is WOW.
>> I'm a software person, not a hardware person; I can handle installing
>> drives, RAM, and cards, but beyond that I prefer to buy prebuilt.
>>
>> For my next frontend, I'd appreciate suggestions on any preassembled,
>> inexpensive (let's say under $500) and/or compact Atom- or other
>> low-power CPU-based boxes that are VDPAU-ready. Most Shuttle PCs are
>> too expensive except the KPCs, which use Intel video. A netbook might
>> be ideal, except I don't know of any with DVI output, let alone
>> onboard Nvidia 8-series video.
>
> Good luck. I asked that a couple of days ago and got "check the
> lists". As far as I could tell in my hours of checking no one has
> discussed low power, low cost solutions with a VDPAU-capable GPU.

The arrival of VDPAU makes a whole bunch of low power hardware,
previously discounted  because of being incapable of HD, back into scope.
I just ran out and grabbed an nvidia 8400GS for my main myth box, but
given the low cost (about $45Cdn).

But now, I think will grab a PCI board and resurrect the VIA SP13000
motherboard. That board, with 2 hard drives ran just under 50 watts
according the the Kill-o-watt. The on-board video chipset, although
great for SD was hopeless for HD so it was downgraded to a fileserver.
But WOW, it might make a really good mythbox again.

(And I can move my most powerful motherboard from my rec room to my
office. You *will* note that I do have my priorities in order: TV first!)

The reason that no-one has discussed a low-power low-cost solution is
that this solution just DID NOT EXIST 2 weeks ago. And Isaac and the
un-named and un-known other toilers have done an amazing job getting
this working.

So low-cost and low-power is....anything you can find which fits those
categories, and which can take a 8000+ series nvida card. And there are
lots of cards which are passively cooled and PCI and PCIE variants. I
don't think that there are any AGP versions, but I could be wrong on
that. The 8400GS is passively cooled and has VGA and DBI plugs, S-video
and component on one plug with a breakout cable for the latter.

This REALLY opens up the miniITX universe of motherboards to fulfilling
ALL of the intended niches that VIA etc. originally conceived of. And
which Intel etc. followed..

Geoff