[mythtv-users] Audio Issues - not myth specific

Jason Gauthier jgauthier at lastar.com
Sun Aug 31 21:50:53 UTC 2008

All,

  Make a long story short, I have an ASUS motherboard with C-Media 6501
USB (onboard) audio. The audio works, even though the quality is crappy
and distorted.  I'm not pursuing it heavily because the main reason I
bought this board was the for SPDIF output.  Turns out.. it's not
supported.

http://www.cmedia.com.tw/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1295

"The S/PDIF implementation of this device does not conform to the USB
Audio Specification. Enabling the output would require some
vendor-specific message that C-Media keeps secret"

So, now I am in the market for a sound card.. it must have SPDIF output.
My only problem.. I have no more PCI slots. I am bound to the PCI
Express.

I can't find any cards except for the Creative Labs X-Fi that seems to
fit both.. and from what I read SPDIF passthrough doesn't work.    I'm
not 100% sure what that means. (Pretty new to this level of audio)

Does anyone have any recommended cards that fit both PCI Express with
SPDIF out?

Appreciate the help.

Jason