[mythtv-users] Nvidia GeForce 6200 DVI + component at same time?

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 18:48:36 UTC 2008

> Hi Allen,
>
> Thanks for your input.  All I want to do is clone the displays, both at
> 720p and have the same thing displayed on both monitors.  I have heard
> that Twinview sucks performance-wise.  Is it possible to clone the
> display not using Twinview?

I had two problems with twinview.  1) The different resolutions of my two
displays were not handled the way I wanted.  2) It sucked CPU cycles like
crazy.

But, you want the same resolution so that should not be an issue.  And, I
was using a 2.4GP4, which is just barely enough to do HD.  If you are using
the same resolution and have enough CPU power, go ahead and give it a try.
I must admit I have not tried it since getting the AMD 5400+ machine.

So all that said, why would you want to have both displays active at the
same time?  I just restart X to switch and the only issue is that I have to
have the projector not connected so that the TV gets the main display.
There is a way to switch where myth is with a program that then can turn
into a keystroke.  I happen to have a DVI switch so that my projector can be
hooked to either Myth or my HD-DVD player (there was a choice decision...)
All I need to do is switch the DVI input to the DVD player and hit
CTRL-ALT-BS and by the time the TV warms up, myth is there.

You may not have an switch in front of your projector so this may not work.
But, like I say, there is a way to do this with a script that switches
between displays so you do not have to use twinview.  Perhaps you can search
the archives from a month or two ago or perhaps some kind sole will chime in
here and let us know how to do it.

 Allen