[mythtv-users] mythrename.pl & Storage Groups -- SOLVED

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Fri Aug 29 17:04:30 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 08/29/2008 12:06 PM, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>
>> I use mythrename.pl to create human readable symlinks to recordings.
>> Ever since I upgraded from 0.20 to 0.21 and implemented storage groups,
>> I've noticed that symlinks are not created for all of my files, only
>> some.  I've googled but have been unable to determine if mythrename.pl
>> is supposed to work with storage groups.  Is it?
>>

> The /proper version/ of mythrename.pl works fine with Storage Groups.
> You're running an old version.
>
> locate mythrename.pl
>
> and delete all the garbage ones.  Though, really, you should figure out
> what your packager did with the version installed by your package
> manager, you can always download the current version from:
>
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/branches/release-0-21-fixes/mythtv/contrib/mythrename.pl?format=txt

Thank you.  That was it.  I'm running Gentoo and found the "proper"
version in /usr/share/mythtv/contrib.  The "wrong" version I was running
was in /usr/share/mythtv.  I've cleaned things up and the proper version
works great!

>> I have one storage group that consists of 3 drives local to my BE/FE
>> combo.  I'd like to have a folder with symlinks to all recordings.  Can
>> I do this with mythrename.pl?
>>

> Yep.  The only qualification is that mythrename.pl will /not/ create
> links to non-existent files, so on whatever machine you run
> mythrename.pl, you must have "local" access to the file (i.e. have all
> required network mounts in the proper places).

No problem here as all drives are local.  :)  Thanks again!

Drew

--
Be a Great Magician!
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse