[mythtv-users] Shutdown right before recording is to begin

Paul Fleischer paul at xpg.dk
Thu Aug 28 21:48:53 UTC 2008

Hi there,

I am a very happy Mythbuntu users running mythtv-0.21.0+fixes16838. I
am running both front-end and back-end on the same machine, which is
hooked up to my TV.
idleTimeoutSecs is set to 350 in order to have the MythTV box shutdown
when not in use. So the general use case is that I just leave the box
on the mythwelcome screen when I'm
done with it, and let it figure out whether or not it is time to go to
shutdown. The system is set to wakeup 3 minutes prior

This works very well most of the time. The box properly turns on to
record shows and during my daily database update cycle (at 7 AM).
However, on several occasions I have experienced that MythTV decides
to shutdown right before a recording is going to start.
For instance, if I want to record, say, "E.R" at 9:30 AM, but at 9:28
mythtv is idle, and wants to shutdown. Looking at the log I see that
the wakeup time is set to 9:27, which is in
the past and translates to next daily wakeup period, ie. 7 AM next day.
This means that no shows will be recorded that day, unless I turn on
the box manually.

It seems that "mythshutdown --check" does not check if there are any
upcoming recordings. It does, however, check if the daily wakeup
period is within the next 15 minutes, in which case it won't shut
down.
To me it seems that there should also be a check for any upcoming
recordings within the next 15 minutes... Or am I missing something ?

Thanks to all MythTV developers for a really great piece of software.

Cheers,
Paul