[mythtv-users] NAS mobo

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Aug 28 17:20:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 10:01:10AM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> Yan Seiner wrote:
> > On Thu, August 28, 2008 7:10 am, John Drescher wrote:
> >> Now I wish I had racks at work. In the past I have stayed away from
> >> rack mounted equipment because the cost was too much compared to the
> >> cost of the rest of the server (less than $1500 US) minus the hard
> >> drives. Thanks for the idea. I may still use this being that I have a
> >> couple of dozen drives sitting on the shelf waiting to be put into
> >> production...
> >
> > Yeah, I really think that the whole rack thing is a huge scam.  4 7'
> > aluminum channels, a couple of alum angles, and some bolts and you have a
> > rack.  WIth a simple computer controlled machine, you can cut and drill
> > the rack in < 1 minute if you're bulk-feeding the channel.  We're talking
> > maybe $50 in materials in relatively small quantity.  Call it an open 19"
> > rack, and you can sell it for $700.
> >
> > Gah.  I suspect it has to do with racks being 'capital equipment' and thus
> > you can depreciate them using the 5 year schedule for US taxes.
> >
> Typical, but not extreme.
>
> How about when they used to remove all of the expensive RF and IF
> components from a TV set and replace them all with a 75-cent BNC jack.
> Somehow this increased the price by hundreds of dollars.
>
> Around here we get rack cabinets (not channel type racks, full cabinets)
> for free. We just pay a visit to one of the abandoned Atlas Missile
> sites in the area.
>
> Nice cabinets too, made by RCA out of 1/4" tool steel, with gasketed
> doors front and rear.
>
> It's a bit of work to get them out, but worth it.
>
> The real problem is that racks are not made in consumer-level mass
> quantities, and are generally sold to companies who don't care about the
> price.

And the *other* problem, which lots of people don't think about, is that
full size, 4-post, cabinet racks are built to be moved around on a fork
truck fully loaded with a couple hundred feet of copper cable in them...

and not break or bend or kill someone the manufacturer will have to pay a
huge judgement too.

It's not *quite* as easy as it looks.

Brian: I'm looking to redo my machine room.  Where are those Atlas sites?

;-)

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.