[mythtv-users] NAS mobo

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Aug 28 15:45:37 UTC 2008

On Thu, August 28, 2008 7:10 am, John Drescher wrote:

> Now I wish I had racks at work. In the past I have stayed away from
> rack mounted equipment because the cost was too much compared to the
> cost of the rest of the server (less than $1500 US) minus the hard
> drives. Thanks for the idea. I may still use this being that I have a
> couple of dozen drives sitting on the shelf waiting to be put into
> production...

Yeah, I really think that the whole rack thing is a huge scam.  4 7'
aluminum channels, a couple of alum angles, and some bolts and you have a
rack.  WIth a simple computer controlled machine, you can cut and drill
the rack in < 1 minute if you're bulk-feeding the channel.  We're talking
maybe $50 in materials in relatively small quantity.  Call it an open 19"
rack, and you can sell it for $700.

Gah.  I suspect it has to do with racks being 'capital equipment' and thus
you can depreciate them using the 5 year schedule for US taxes.

--
  o__

As long as nobody gets hurt, a decent explosion livens up any experiment.