[mythtv-users] Is cable going widescreen?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 14:57:54 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 9:56 AM, John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 09:50:32AM -0400, Phil Bridges wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > Well...I have a widescreen TV, so it doesn't affect me
>> > personally...but we're talking about broadcast TV here.  In these
>> > cases there won't _be_ any 4:3 version after February.
>> >
>> > I'm not surprised that changing resolution could be an issue on many TVs.
>> >

>> That's patently incorrect.  There is digital SD - in fact, most
>> stations in my area are broadcasting two channels: a digital SD and a
>> digital HD.
>
> So how are you seeing these two channels?  If the main channel is,
> say, 8, then 8.1 is HD and 8.2 is the same program in SD?  Why would
> they do that?  I haven't seen such behavior from any local stations
> here.

I haven't that either in the New York area either...that's why I
wasn't aware it was being done anywhere.  Perhaps that will change in
Feb, who knows.  The main stations around here (4.1 for example) will
have 16:9 all the time (most HD, but some 4:3 with black bars) and the
sub stations will often have stuff like 24 hour weather, but I've
actually never seen a 4:3 version of their main programming on any of
them.  CBS doesn't broadcast any multiplex at all.

Tom