[mythtv-users] how do I run mythtv-setup in VNC

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Wed Aug 27 20:07:23 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 08/26/2008 05:42 AM, mat wrote:
>>> My frontend is running at 1080i and when I use VNC I run the
>>> mythtv-setup runs very slow and also as I'm running a virtual screen it
>>> is not correct for my VNC session.
>>>
>>> Q.1 So can I run the mythtv-setup with different screen-size than the TV
>>> out size? or "windowed" format independantly than the frontend window.
>>> Q2. why is it so slow from virtual desktop?
>> I setup my (headless) frontend using X over ssh, which is incredibly
>> simple to do and it appeared to size myth to fit my client machine:
>>
>> ssh -X name at boxIP
>>
>> then just run mythtv-setup!
>>
>> awesome.
>
> You probably want ssh -Y.  You'll get errors with -X and you lose some
> capability with -X.

FWIW, VNC works well for me when I need to reconfigure my headless backend.
You want to use a setup similar to what's described here:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_x11vnc#Method_2:__X_Server_.28system-started.29_method

That page also describes another method where the VNC server is started by the
user instead of the system; I wouldn't recommend that approach.  The method
linked above behaves similarly to a VNC server on Windows or Mac OS X; once I
start X on the backend from a root prompt and connect to the VNC server, the
kdm login prompt shows up.  From that point, you log in and do whatever you
need as if you were at the computer.

(I've run X apps across the network before, but the Cygwin X server used to be
a bit flaky and would kill apps for apparently no good reason.  Maybe it's
gotten better.  VNC is usually easier to get going (except as a server on
Windows Vista...grr).)

   _/_
  / v \ Scott Alfter