[mythtv-users] X2 5000 enough to play HD?

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 18:54:08 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> The big overlap on the two motherboards (and the big disconnect from the
> previous) is the AMD chipset (versus the NVIDIA nForce on the previous
> mobo).  The AMD chipset is only /very/ recently supported (sometime
> after 2.6.21), so I'm starting to think that the chipset support is
> still too immature for the kind of work a Myth HDTV frontend needs to
> do.  I'm considering getting another mobo with an NVIDIA chipset.  (The
> really annoying thing is each time I do, I have to get another AM2+
> processor and some RAM so I don't waste the other mobo--which seem to
> work more than well enough for a "normal" non-Myth computer.  Oh well,
> the Biostar has become my new Myth dev box and was >>4x faster at
> compiling Myth than my old Athlon XP 1700+ dev box. :)
>
> I'll let you know once I figure it out.
>
> In all the above configurations, I'm using Linux kernel 2.6.26.2 and
> ALSA 1.0.17.
>
> Moral of the story, don't mess with a working Myth system... :)
>
> What chipset are you using?

I'm using a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H, which has, from what I read, is a
recent AMD 780G chipset.  Based on my observation that my CPU
utilization is nowhere near 100% on even one core of the CPU, that's
what lead me to believe the poor playback is not CPU-related.