[mythtv-users] Myth autoexpiring brand new shows

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 13:42:21 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 6:14 PM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:

> Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> says:
> > I would agree that the autoexpire list could be improved to take
> > this into account when displaying the list of shows eligable for
> > expiration but at first blush, it seems that it would have to take
> > into account the current recording schedule in order to make such
> > determinations and while possible, again falls into a feature
> > request area.
>
> I agree that, if discussing revamping the AutoExpire List, this is
> turning into a feature request thread. I do not think such a revamping
> is necessary or even (in most cases) desirable, though. There is a
> simple solution (if I understand the weightings right): Set
> SGweightLocalStarting to 0 by default.
>
> This solution has the advantage of meshing with the exsting AutoExpire
> List, the existing documentation, and simple common sense. Advanced
> users who prefer the current behavior can change SGweightLocalStarting
> to whatever they want. Meanwhile, average users who know enough to set
> up a remote NFS/Samba mount (which are pretty easy in the grand scheme
> of things Linux and MythTV) should not have to also learn SQL syntax
> to manually create the requisite rows in the settings table.

I would tend to agree for the situation of the single tuner or solo
recording scenario.  A user that has only one tuner but local and remote
storage will never use the remote storage if I understand the weighting
properly.  The same is true for multi-tuner configurations where multiple
simultaneous recordings are infrequent.  I'm not sure if a blanket 0 weight
is best or dynamically weighting it to zero in single tuner/recording
scenarios but leaving it as-is for others is best.

Kevin