[mythtv-users] Lost Drive!

Monkey Pet monkeypet at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 07:20:02 UTC 2008

I lost a drive that was part of a lvm.  Not sure what the best
approach to "fixing" the problem is.  The drive is still accessible,
but it gets "stuck" with loud clicking sounds when accessing some
files.

I thought of:
a) Cutting it loose.  Since it is the last segment of a lvm, just
truncate the ext filesystem (resize2fs)  and hope for the best, then
remove it from the LVM.
b) Clone the drive, then the clone it into the lvm again.  However, I
don't know how to drop the clone back into the LVM.  I guess I would
just dd (clone) the drive onto another drive and drop the clone into
the logical volume after removing the old faulty one.
c) Buy a new drive and copy the entire filesystem off the logical
volume or as much as I can before the drive really dies.  Finishing my
migration off LVM for good.

Anyone have experience with this and can offer some advice?