[mythtv-users] Is cable going widescreen?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Aug 26 03:02:50 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 03:10:20PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> 2) Do NOT assume that 'OTA' has anything at all to do with being over
> the air today. It is my understanding that the networks already feed
> all of their channels to the cable companies on private networks that
> are fundamentally digital and the cable companies turn them back into
> analog with on-site hardware.

I believe your understanding to be incorrect, at least in part.

I suspect Chris Ribe can chime in with more details (assuming I spelled
his name correctly :-), but as far as I know, there are antitrust
reasons why cable companies have traditionally taken their broadcast
channel feeds OTA, and I don't see any reason why that would change.

The issue also speaks to whether cablecos will have to "must carry"
subsidiary channels.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.