[mythtv-users] Is cable going widescreen?

Nate Bargmann n0nb at n0nb.us
Mon Aug 25 23:19:45 UTC 2008

* Steve Peters - Priority Electronics <steve at priorityelectronics.com> [2008 Aug 25 18:06 -0500]:

> >As I understand it, the broadcasters use a variety of resolutions from
> >SD 720x480 4:3 to 1920x1080 16:9.  As not all programming is in one
> >format or another, the broadcast will be in the program's native
> >format.  The viewer will control whether screen stretching takes place
> >or vertical bars are present on an HD set.  Am I wrong?
> >
> >- Nate >>
> >
> >--
>

> My dad's setup is a 4:3 hd tv, and when he watches something old, like I
> Love Lucy on the Fox HD OTA channel, he has black bars above the image (as
> is normal to most of the hd shows), but also to the left and right of the
> image. Kinda sucks really. I never understood why they didn't just send the
> signal out in 4:3. Commercials on that channel often show up as the 16:9
> ratio and fill to the left and right.

I'll admit that I've yet to see what's going on with OTA stuff around
here.  I need to do some antenna work this weekend (hopefully) at my
dad's place and it may be mid autumn before I get the converter boxes.
Both of his TVs are analog picture tube types so all I'll be able to
see is SD, analog or digital.

- Nate >>