[mythtv-users] DVR Capability

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 17:53:35 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Thom Paine <painethom at gmail.com> wrote:

> I work at our local police service and our station was hit with
> lightning last week. It knocked out alot of our equipment including
> our DVR for the interview room.
>
> I was thinking of building a mythbox that will allow me to record from
> a video camera.
>
> One feature myth has is the integrated burn to dvd function. That is a
> nice feature.
>
> Has anyone else attempted something like this before?

Probably, but Myth isn't really geared towards recording non-guide
programmed content efficiently.  To be honest, this would probably be better
handled using a simple Windows PC with capture device and utilizing the
capture/burn feature of Nero or other similar burning software.  It is
straightforward and does what needs to be done without much hassle.  The
last thing you probably need at the police station is trying to explain to
someone else how to diagnose a Linux problem that might crop up rather than
being able to use one of a gazillion pieces of Windows software to capture
video and/or burn it.

Kevin