[mythtv-users] Is my JFS broken ?

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 15:20:02 UTC 2008

2008/8/20 r2d2 <r2d2z4j6y8 at gmail.com>

> [snip hw error]
>
> > If you type "dmesg" do you see anything about IO errors, DMA resets, or
> timeouts?
> I didn't notice anything about IO errors or other errors. As I mentioned,
> there was "Corrupt dmap page" in /var/log/messages before the filesystem was
> first damaged.

It sounds like your filesystem is hosed, have you tried booting into single
user mode and runing fsck over the FS? (rather than just relying on the
journal) The lockup when you try and do certain things sounds like FS
corruption (maybe it's getting stuck in an endless loop when traversing
inodes or something??)

The fact things end up in lost+found suggest this also (as this is where FS
recovery code will reattach stuff it finds.)

fsck is the way to go.

> > Depending on how important your recordings are, I'd suggest buying a new
> disk and copying
> > them off one at a time then you'll find out which is on the broken bits
> of disk.
> I will consider  buying a new disk. It would be quite difficult to identify
> the broken bits as the filesystem resides on a logical volume built over 2
> software RAID arrays (raid1, 2 disks and raid5, 4 disks). I know this is an
> awful mess. TV shows and movies are not so important, but I am disappointed
> : the RAID was inefficient to prevent this kind of problem.

This makes me think it's filesystem corruption even more. The raid gives you
a fault tolerant block device, it knows nothing about the data that's on
that device, so if your filesystem gets corrupted the raid will quite
happily give you redundancy for your broken data.

However, as you have RAID a single failing disc shouldn't cause the kind of
issues you're having (or at least not without timing out and degrading the
RAID.)

If it does turn out to be FS corruption you're probably best newfsing, but
at the least you should /copy/ rather than move affected files. It stands a
slightly better chance of working. (moving files can just alter a few on
disc pointers, whereas copying will copy the affected data, so you won't
recover corrupted files, but you won't have any files that are corrupted
lyring around wating to trip you up.)

Cheers

Ian