[mythtv-users] Is my JFS broken ?

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 16:27:54 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:19 AM, r2d2 <r2d2z4j6y8 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  > Almost definitely a hardware error on the disk.
> Bad news.
>
> > If you type "dmesg" do you see anything about IO errors, DMA resets, or
> timeouts?
> I didn't notice anything about IO errors or other errors. As I mentioned,
> there was "Corrupt dmap page" in /var/log/messages before the filesystem was
> first damaged.
>
> > Depending on how important your recordings are, I'd suggest buying a new
> disk and copying
> > them off one at a time then you'll find out which is on the broken bits
> of disk.
> I will consider  buying a new disk. It would be quite difficult to identify
> the broken bits as the filesystem resides on a logical volume built over 2
> software RAID arrays (raid1, 2 disks and raid5, 4 disks). I know this is an
> awful mess. TV shows and movies are not so important, but I am disappointed
> : the RAID was inefficient to prevent this kind of problem.

Well, to be fair, if you are on RAID 5, it won't prevent filesystem errors,
but it should allow you to replace the underlying damaged disk without
additional data loss as it will rebuild the disk using the parity
information.  I personally don't like RAID/LVM type systems on Myth with the
introduction of storage groups because I fear filesystem errors wiping out
an entire volume more than a single disk failure taking a % of my data with
it.  But that's the risk I'm willing to take.

Put another drive in it's place and let RAID do it's work

Kevin