[mythtv-users] Freeview UK channel number chaos after rescan

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Aug 19 14:56:23 UTC 2008

Changes have been made recently in the Freeview DVB-T transmissions,
reputedly to the encoding of the Network Information Tables.   The
changes are supposed to be invisible to the users of most set-top boxes
but have made some older models unusable.  I've just looked on mythtv -
gossamer-threads but found nothing that looked relevant there.

I have just rescanned my Mythtv box (0.21 fixes from ATrpms) and find
that although several channels retain their old numbers in the range 1
to 727 the others lie spread out in the range 8264 (ITV1) to 26496 for
the BBC World Service.  It all seems to work but has changed the
familiar layout in the Programme Guide.

I suspect that my old setup had got a bit outdated so I don't really
want to revert to the old database, but I'd like to have the channels
back in the conventional order - preferably without manual editing, one
channel at a time, in mythtvsetup.  Does anyone have a better solution?

John Pilkington