[mythtv-users] HD-PVR: Answers requested

David Engel david at istwok.net
Mon Aug 18 23:00:47 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 08:46:52AM -0700, Robert McNamara wrote:
> most cases.  Because of the alpha nature of all of this, there is no
> processor that one can *guarantee* will play all HD-PVR recording
> smoothly.  A high-spec dual core processor is a fairly good bet,
> especially with forthcoming changes to libavcodec.  A 3.0 Ghz should

Robert, do you have any idea when those libavcodec changes will be
ready?  I've tried to follow Alexander Strange's GSoC project by
checking the ffmpeg mailing list archives every few weeks.  The last
time I checked, it looked like things were working well but I assume
all of those changes are still in a GSoC branch of ffmpeg and will
have to be merged into their trunk before other projects like MythTV
can start using them.

> Requirement of Windows for firmware install:
>
> Yes, this will eventually change when firmware loading is implemented
> in the driver.  No ETA on this.

When I got my HD-PVR, I saw this in the wiki but decided to first try
without doing it since I didn't have convenient access to a Windows
box.  I was able to make recordings and run some other simple tests
without loading any firmware.  Is loading the firmware still necessary
or is my Rev C2 HD-PVR a refurbished C1 that someone else had already
initialized?  I suspect the latter but haven't had time to
investigate.  I hope to get back to messing with my HD-PVR next week.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net