[mythtv-users] amino set top and mythTV noob

Valdimar Kristjánsson vk at eleanetwork.com
Mon Aug 18 11:42:43 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've just gotten an old PC that I've setup Ubuntu 8.04 and MythTV 0.20.
The PC is a 1.2 GHz machine with 500MB RAM and no capture card.
I also have an Amino STB which I would like to be able to record from using
MythTV.

What are my options in connecting the STB to the computer so that MythTV
can do something with it?
Do I need to connect the STB and the MythTV machine to a router so they can
communicate or should I just remove the ethernet cable from the STB and
connect it straight to the PC?
Do I need to get a capture card to receive video/audio from the STB through
composite/S-Video?
I'm a complete noob at this but I'm fairly good with computers in general
(a programmer.)

What I basically want to be able to do is turn on my MythTV box and have
all the channels from the STB available from there, with recording
capabilities.

Thanks,
  nisbus