[mythtv-users] Can I 1) Mythbrowser without mythbackend? 2) Display progress bar while mplayer buffering?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Aug 16 03:31:22 UTC 2008

On Aug 15, 2008, at 7:01 PM, Michael Moore wrote:

> I just got my Myth system set up. It's working pretty well, but I was
> wondering if there's a good way to do any of the following...
>
> 1) Is there a way to use Mythbrowser and Mythweather without the
> backend being turned on? Right now if it can't connect it goes to the
> setup screen. If there's even a way to point mythfrontend at a
> different profile, I wouldn't even mind using a script in my .xinitrc
> to decide which profile to use.

No. The frontend needs to connect to a backend when starting up.
There's no other way for it to get the information from the database
as to which frontend is connecting and which settings to use for that
particular frontend - in your case, display properties, weather
settings, browser settings, etc.

That being said, the backend is meant to ALWAYS be on so recordings
will take place when the time comes. Is there a reason you don't want
it to be on?

> 2) Is there a way to display a progress bar while mplayer is buffering
> the video (when using Mythvideo). I have a large buffer set (300M), so
> on large files mplayer can take a long time to start. I've thought
> that it was frozen several times when loading large videos.

No, you'd have to write a script to get the progress from mplayer and
display it yourself. The frontend doesn't integrate that closely with
mplayer or any external player. It simply launches what you tell it to
launch or uses the internal player.

Why are you setting such a large buffer to start a video? Even if you
are streaming video wirelessly, 300M is overkill.

-Brad