[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun, 2nd NIC and dhcpd bootup issue

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 05:25:06 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:24 PM, JS Boyd <mythtv at futures.com> wrote:
> Been there, done all that......
>
> The reason it takes up to 60 seconds for an HDHomerun to connect via
> DHCP is that the HDHomerun only polls for a new DHCP address if it does
> not already have one every 60 seconds.
>
> So you have to wait some time period between 0 and 60 seconds before the
> HDHomerun will poll your DHCP server. Once it has an address everything
> works. There is no way to set a static IP on an HDHomerun. So if you are
> using it on it's own NIC, you just have to wait.
>
> Another solution is to use a switch and have another system provide the
> HDHomerun with DHCP, so that when your Myth system comes up the
> HDHomerun has already gotten its DHCP provided address from somewhere
> else previously. Though I never found a switch that would not drop
> packets (thus creating horizontal zips across the recordings) so I did a
> direct connect to the HDHomerun and wait for it to poll DHCP.
>
> I use something like this:
>
>                count=25
>                /usr/local/bin/hdhomerun_config discover  > /dev/null
>                while [ $? -eq 1 -a $count -gt 0 ]; do
>                        sleep 3
>                        count=`expr $count - 1`;
>                        /usr/local/bin/hdhomerun_config discover > /dev/null
>                done
>

> S.

Booting up with Michael's script added a delay of at least 200
seconds, with the HDHR's network LED flashing the entire time the
script was pinging.  So if the problem was a 60 second polling
interval for the HDHR,  and not the dhcp server, the HDHR should have
received an address during that time...