[mythtv-users] Mythfilldatabase and OriginalAirDate

Christopher Meredith chmeredith at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 14:26:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 08/12/2008 03:52 PM, Carl Fongheiser wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Christopher Meredith wrote:
> >> When using mythfilldatabase with an xml file, it appears to process the
> >> data in the "<date>" tag and insert it into the database in the
> "airdate"
> >> field (which only accepts a 4-digit year) instead of the
> "originalairdate"
> >> field (which supports year-month-day). How can I change this behavior?
> >>
> >> Also, does mythfilldatabase recognize the "<live />" tag?
> > All the answers you seek can be found in
> > "programs/mythfilldatabase/xmltvparser.cpp" in your mythtv source tree.
> >

> Probably true, but he should likely be seeking some other info...  ;)
>
> If you look at
> http://xmltv.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/xmltv/xmltv/xmltv.dtd and
> look at the <date> element for the <programme> element, you'll find:
>
> <!-- The date the programme or film was finished. This will probably
> be the same as the copyright date.
> -->
> <!ELEMENT date (#PCDATA)>
>
> And, since few (if any) films or other programs/programmes are actually
> aired on the copyright date, the requested change is not correct.
>
> (So, feel free to make the change for your own personal copy of MythTV,
> but, IMHO, you shouldn't bother submitting a ticket/patch.)
>
> Pretty sure this was discussed before on the mythtv lists, but I don't
> feel like searching for the thread, right now.

 Is the OriginalAirDate field in the database deprecated? It does not appear
to be used by anything, even the <previously-shown> tag, which
http://xmltv.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/xmltv/xmltv/xmltv.dtd says is
used to indicate when a particular episode was previously shown, including
the date.

Looking at the database, it appears that "previouslyshown" is merely a
toggle. If there is a date in the tag in the xml, is it ignored?

I am trying to get to the bottom of how to get the actual original air date
to be inserted into the database. Thanks.