[mythtv-users] CPU usage during Playback of content from HD-PVR

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 17:59:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:48 AM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> On Aug 13, 2008, at 10:26 AM, Steve Heistand wrote:
>

>>> Not sure what I have, actually. I pre-ordered and was shipped the
>>> first week, so I assume I have a first gen. It says Rev C on the
>>> bottom. When I plug it in, I get the blue light on the front of the
>>> unit. When I load the drive, the yellow light comes on, the the red
>>> light immediately comes on and all three lights stay on and the
>>> device
>>> immediately detaches. I assume they will tell me to send it back
>>> for a
>>> new one.
>>
>> did you load a new firmware under windows when you first got the unit?
>> the stuff on the cd that came with it was old, a newer version was
>> available on their website.
>
> Yeah, I first tried the new firmware. Then they told me to load from
> the CD. So I tried that. Then I tried the new firmware again.
>
>> tne 2nd gen have the 3 little lights on front, but the new blue
>> light is
>> on the top panel in the grove around the thing. almost backlit like.
>> the 3 on front I have taped over with electrical tape as they
>> were way too bright for living room use. (ok the wife complained)
>
> This seems to be a first gen. I didn't bother RMAing it since it
> wasn't getting hot like other had described. I'm sure I'll get an
> email back telling me to send it back to them for a new unit.

A *working* "rev c1" should be fine.  From what I understand,
Hauppauge designed these assuming the encoder chip required a certain
voltage.  If you have a "rev c1" with a chip which actually matches
that spec, then you are okay.

However, not all the encoder chips matched that spec, and Hauppauge
had to redesign the units for the different requirements, thus the
"rev c2" units.

I personally have one of each, and both are working fine.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?