[mythtv-users] Accessing mythweb from outside internal network

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Aug 13 14:56:46 UTC 2008

Brad Fuller wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 7:36 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> If you want to run a server and get decent upstream speed I'd look into
>> a business account with Comcast.
>
> FWIW: I had great service with comcast business. They were always
> helpful and even came out the same day (probably within 4 hours) when
> we had a storm here on Dec 31 2005 and a cedar in my backyard fell and
> took out all the lines coming into the house (and crashed on my
> neighbors roof!). PG&E (electric) came out in the afternoon. I didn't
> get phone (ATT) repaired for 2 weeks! I was happy with comcast
> business.

There is usually a huge difference between residential and business
service. I get guaranteed minimum data rates (not "up to"), no blocked
ports and a North American human being on the phone in 2 or 3 rings with
business cable data service (I'm not on Comcast).

I'm certainly no fan of Comcast, but I would not complain if something
didn't work well when I had specifically agreed to not do it.

I think the OP would be surprised that business service is not that much
more costly than residential. You get what you pay for.

beww