[mythtv-users] Configuration for Australia

Anthony Giggins seven at seven.dorksville.net
Wed Aug 13 03:36:53 UTC 2008

>> I was hoping that I could build a fairly low end system (fanless) with
>> a good graphics card that performed the decompression of the video
>> stream in hardware - well that was the plan anyway....
>
> 1. Please do not top quote
> 2. As others have stated, the problem is that there are no accelerated
> h264 decoders for linux.  THe popcorn hour uses a dedicated chip for
> h264.  This SHOULD change with the work intel is doing on a new video
> API, but that is still a ways off.
>
> Note that you CAN use a popcorn hour as a "video playing only"
> frontend via UPnP (sometimes buggy) or a fileshare.  The popcorn
> hour's video output is not matched by any PC I've tried.

I'm able to playback Australian HDTV on an old P4 3.0GHz with an Nvidia
5700 (I think for sure its a 5 series) using the default "Normal" playback
profile. As far as I'm aware HDTV in AU is MPEG2 only not h264 (I could be
wrong)

I'm actually waiting for the DVB-T HD Homerun to be released, which is
estimated for September 2008 which was pushed back from Q1 2008 so I
wouldn't hold your breath, I'm currently using a Dvico Fusion HDTV DVB-T
Plus which for the most part works well but I have intermittent problems
recording SBS due to weak signal fussiness of the card I believe and the
composite/svidio capture lacks audio (I was hoping to use this to digitise
some old video tapes), all this is running on  www.mythdora.com which
works pretty well out of the box.

and as suggested earlier ++shepherd

I hope this helps.