[mythtv-users] Anyone else in Canada with HDTV on Myth?

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Tue Aug 12 23:58:44 UTC 2008

At 5:32 PM -0400 8/12/08, Bobby Gill wrote:
>Thanks Colin for that link, that's excellent (I'm in Brampton). However I noticed this:
>
>"To get any digital channels from Rogers in any form into your MythTV box you need a Rogers digital box, an IR blaster (that can mimic a Rogers digital box remote control) and a MythTV compatible analog tuner. The idea being that the IR blaster controls the Rogers box and you read the result via the analog card. This is not true HDTV but at present it is the only way to work things with Rogers HDTV. "
>
>My understanding in this area is pretty limited still so am I correct in saying that for me to get HDTV going here the best I can get is basically higher quality analog?
>
>On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Mark Hutchinson <<mailto:mark at westviewsystems.com>mark at westviewsystems.com> wrote:
>
><mailto:kanetse at gmail.com>kanetse at gmail.com wrote:

>>>  Eastlink in NS, capturing via Firewire from their HDTV settop box.
>>>

>> What firewire capture card are you using?
>>
>> I'm another MythTV user in Canada (Vancouver though), about to get the
> > HDTV set-top box tomorrow.)
>
>I dont use firewire for capture.  The HD-PVR box is USB.  I do use
>firewire for channel changes into a DCT-6200 STB though.
>Built in mobo firewire

Etiquette on this list frowns on top-posting.

I'm in Oakville using an HDHomerun.  I get my HD via OTA--lots of people get ~20 channels with an outdoor antenna (and NO monthly fees)!  I have the second tuner connected to Cogeco cable.  They're nice enough to provide 30+ digital QAM channels that mirror many of the analog offerings.  No HD but Family for the kids, etc.

Craig