[mythtv-users] Bitrate/quality on PVR-150

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Aug 12 23:45:57 UTC 2008

On Aug 12, 2008, at 4:16 PM, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> * Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> [2008 Aug 12 13:15
> -0500]:
>
>> There are no consumer capture devices that can handle content from
>> HDMI.
>
> So there is no way to use an HDMI output as a signal source.

I didn't say there was no way. I said there are no "consumer" capture
devices.
If you spend enough money you can do anything you want. ;)

And actually, there is this device but there is no Linux support nor
do I think there ever will be:
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

The other disadvantage is that you get uncompressed high-def signal
which isn't very practical for use in a PVR environment - something in
the neighborhood of 400 - 675 GB per hour. So if you want to write a
driver and buy a 1TB drive for every 1 hour program you record AND
make sure the content you're recording has no digital copy protection
on it, go right ahead. :)

> Sad, and
> I'm not much interested in HD right now, but I'm looking toward the
> future.

Over the air is the best option. Best quality, reasonable data rates
and free - aside from the cost of a digital tuner which can be
anywhere up to $169 for a dual tuner box like the HD Home Run.

>> HD-PVR from Hauppauge can grab from component and it looks
>> amazing - and nothing to do with MythTV. MythTV is software. Capture
>> cards are hardware.
>
> As I understand it, component video will be phased out in the future
> in
> favor of HDMI.  I wonder if there will be a way to capture from an
> HDMI
> source by that time.

That sounds like information from someone trying to sell HDMI
equipment. I only have 1 HDMI connector on my TV and I *hate* using it
because the audio that comes out of it is terrible and I have sync
issues with it on 1080p combined with high-motion. I've never had
these issues with component video.

-Brad

P.S. I'm sorry I wrote so much about high-def video because this
thread is about PVR-150 quality/bitrates and this discussion belongs
in other threads and has been discussed to death in those other threads.