[mythtv-users] Video Card Recommendation

Ray Whiteman ray.whiteman at consultant.com
Tue Aug 12 14:10:13 UTC 2008

Brian C. Huffman wrote:
> Allen Edwards <allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com> wrote:
>
>> Nick Bright wrote:
>>
> <snip>
>
>>> Why wouldn't you want to use XvMC? I'm not trying to disparage you - I'm
>>> curious. I haven't read anything negative about XvMC, but I've seen some
>>> posts and pages mentioning not wanting to use it by a number of people.
>>>
>>> If there's a good reason to not use XvMC, I'd really like to know what
>>> it is so I can make an informed decision on using it in my setup.
>>>

> <snip>
>
>> I tried XvMC on my AMD based 5400 setup and it really is not a very good
>> experience.  I can't remember exactly but when the OSD comes on things
>> break up or something.
>>
>> Allen
>>

> I don't think the breaking up is due to the XvMC.  I believe that's a CPU issue but I could be wrong.
>
> As far as why I don't want XvMC - as far as I know you can't get color OSD when using XvMC.  Once again, I don't mind being corrected if that's not true.
>
> Brian

Hello,

If audio breaks up when the OSD is on, try enabling the extra audio
buffering option in TV Playback, if I recall correctly, the
de-interlacing options made a difference as well.

There is a patch for colour OSD. From my point of view it was an easy
way to see when XVMC was being used anyway.

That being said I (literally today) gave up entirely on XVMC due to a
number of issues, and threw a ASUS P5K/E8400/7200GS/2GB at the problem
to remove XVMC from the equation and to give me some more grunt for
transcoding, comm flagging and H.264 (my life is worth more than the
time I have spent over the last 6 weeks trying to push my old P4 2.8GHz
to display HD)