[mythtv-users] Mythbackend randomly dies

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 03:04:22 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2008/8/12 Tino Keitel <tino.keitel at gmx.de>:
>> I guess that this will fail to restart mythbackend if there is a shell
>> where you watch the backend log using less /var/log/mythbackend.log or
>> something similar.
>
> that's correct ; that's also why I wrote not to call this script mythbackend.sh
>
> However, if you're watching the log, you logged on the machine and
> will probably restart mythbackend manually anyway

Some people tend to leave tail -f logfile going all the time inside
screen or the like. If I have a number of log files I often look at on
a machine I leave them set up in a screen session and log in from
anywhere and start screen -dr and can flick through the logs without
specifically starting them.

So what i am saying is just cos you seem to be watching
mythbackend.log you aren't necessarily logged in.

There are daemon oversight daemons designed for servers and the like
that detect the shutdown of a daemon and restart it. One of these
programs have already invented this wheel. They generally work by
starting the daemon and then saving its pid in a known place. If the
pid disappears, then they restart the daemon. Just like Joe suggested
:-)