[mythtv-users] Suspend on 2.6.26 kernel??

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Mon Aug 11 02:36:22 UTC 2008

I'm still a newbie when it comes to Linux suspending (either to disk or ram),
but I've been trying on a recently built machine.  It contains a new Gigabyte
GA-MA78G-DS3H motherboard and Athlon X2-4850 cpu.

When I first built the machine, the suspend was looking very promising on
2.6.25, but there was a fatal flaw when resume from RAM where the network
would be dead;
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/336828?search_string=malformed;#336828
which I got no responses from but got a few clues on LinuxQuestions.  I was
also waiting for the 2.6.26 kernel to arrive, hoping it would help.  Using
the s2ram --force command, the machine on 2.6.25 would go down correctly and
restart (even from a X session) with everything working except network.

However, my 2.6.26 experience hasn't been as good.  Now it goes through most
of the suspend steps, but fails to actually idle the machine.  The power
light and cpu fan are still running, and nothing can wake it up again (power
button, keyboard, etc).  Suspend to disk results in a similar state.

So given that 2.6.26 was supposed to be a major improvement/fix for suspend,
am I totally missing something now?  I've now tried 2.6.26.2 with the same
results.  Did this kernel take such a big step back, or do my tools need
upgrading, etc.

I'm running Mandriva 2008.1 patched.  I've tried s2ram and direct echo's
to /sys/power/state.

Brian