[mythtv-users] Mac mini - no DTS or AC3 sound?

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Sat Aug 9 15:38:09 UTC 2008

Jarle Thorsen wrote:
> I have just set up a new Mac Mini (with intel cpu) as an additional frontend.
> I am using the optical output to my surround receiver.
>
> In Mythtv I have set it to use ALSA:default as output and ALSA:iec958 as
> passthrough. I have also checked the passthrough for DTS and AC3 boxes.
>
> However I only get sound when I try to play videos containing stereo sound. If
> I try to play DTS or AC3 material I get no sound at all.
>
> Any ideas which settings I need to have this working?

I don't have a MAC so this may be different but to get sound working on
my system I did the following:
1) remove or rename the two alsa config files (asound.conf and .asoundrc)
2) some people have to uninstall pulse audio.  I think this is with Fedora.
3) Sound ALSA:default
4) Passthrough ALSA:spdif
5) check Stereo (not 5.1)
6) turn on iec958 in alsamixer

In my experience, if you try and follow any wiki and set up asound.conf,
you are dead.  The defaults are used if there is no config file and they
work great.

Allen