[mythtv-users] Help! New Frontend box cannot connect to master backend in setup.

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Fri Aug 8 03:31:14 UTC 2008

Phil Bridges wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Allen Edwards
> <allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com> wrote:
>> My Mythbuntu 8.04 machine works great.  I decided to add a frontend so
>> my wife can watch from the bedroom.  I am trying to use Mythbuntu 8.04.1
>> for that.
>>
>> I googled the two error messages I have gotten in the three install
>> attempts I have made.  Installing as a frontend only, I get "Connection
>> Results:  Failure" at the MySQL screen when I test the connection.  I
>> then tried a simple combined install and then deleted the backend and
>> got a message "Cannot login to database"  even after entering the IP and
>> password of the backend.
>>
>> In the mySQL screen, I entered 192.168.1.111, the IP address of the backend.
>> For password, I entered the password from the /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt file
>> of cdRN8CXD.
>> I can both ping and connect to mythweb from this would-be frontend so I
>> know the connection is good.
>>
>> I checked the Host Address Backend Setup on the main myth box.  I tried
>> both 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.1.111 as the IP addresses in both spots.  The
>> security pin is set to 0000 which should allow anyone to connect.
>> Everything else looks like it does in the installation manual.
>>
>> I am stuck, out of ideas.  This can't be this hard as I know lots of
>> people do this.
>>

> Do you have any other mysql.txt files?
>
> On the new frontend, can you connect to the master backend MySQL server?

Thanks for the reply.

I have 4 mysql.txt files on the machine but they all have the same
password on them.

I reinstalled mythbuntu a 4th time far enough that I could get a command
prompt and had mysql installed.
I issued this command:
mysql -h 192.168.1.111 -u root -p
I entered my password and cannot connect.

I guess that points to the backend, but what?  I have checked all the
settings in myth three times.

Allen