[mythtv-users] Why Free Software has poor usability ?

Jason Antman jason at jasonantman.com
Wed Aug 6 23:08:09 UTC 2008

I missed most of the "action" on this thread, but just wanted to throw
in a comment here - I think Jedidiah hit the nail right on the head. I'm
a great fan of Free Software, and release most of my own code under the
GPL - and have experienced the users' "just works" expectation from a
developer's point of view.

We must not forget that, unlike most commercial software targeted
towards non-technical end-users, the goal of a *good* F/OSS package is
_not_ to make a one-size-fits-all solution, but (at least for a project
like MythTV that couples both the interface and the backend) to allow
_relative_ ease-of-use while still retaining the options that advanced
users require. While the usability of Free Software, especially that for
Linux, has increased dramatically since I started using it 7 years ago,
it's still a world driven by volunteer developers. While the "just
works" aspect has gotten better in many ways (even compared to when I
started using MythTV a few years ago), it's still not a world where an
end-user can assume that, with their (perhaps pseudo-random) selection
of hardware, software X will do Y as expected without any modification
or research.

-J Antman