[mythtv-users] QAM Channel Scanner

Larry T larryt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 19:11:59 UTC 2008

I have been using a pcHDTV 5500 for approximately 3 years and I remember
there was a period where scanning worked for some people and didn't work for
others. Then a release came out and corrected the problems.

Since then, it had been working until a few weeks ago. A few weeks ago, I
stopped being able to tune in to channels that I used to have. I rescanned
using mythtvsetup and was unable to find the channels. My total QAM channels
had diminished by approximately 2/3. I scanned with my TV with QAM tuner and
the missing QAM channels were still present (though not remapped). Thinking
I had signal problems, I brought a cable tech out and boosted my signal
which did not help. Thinking my tuner had gone bad or was not sensitive
enough, I purchased a HDHomerun which gave me new insight.

To illustrate my problem, I will focus on my local CBS HD affiliate which is
105.2 according to
http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/lineupui?Cmd=LocationProgramsWeb&Country=US&Postcode=32904.
Both the 5500 and HDHR when scanning through MythTV detect the 105 range and
lock on, then report it as "No Tables" and do not add any subchannels in
that range. They do not give any further details about the subchannels.
There is no indication of failing to tune or encrypted channel or anything
else as to why 105.x is not identified. It jumps to 106 in which it reports
a lot of encrypted channels. If I use my TV QAM tuner or the HDHR Windows
based software, I can locate every QAM channel in the above link. The
channels lock on and stream fine with a reasonable signal.

My settings for the scan appear to be reasonable because I do receive some
channels such as those in the 50 and 76 range of the above link. Is this a
known issue with a workaround such as manually adding the channels? Is there
any way to increase the relevant logging in mythtvsetup to provide more
detailed information? Thanks for any help.