[mythtv-users] Why Free Software has poor usability ?

Graham Mitchell gmitch at woodlea.com
Tue Aug 5 22:55:24 UTC 2008

From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of David

Fedora is a "bleeding edge" sort of distro.  They don't support older
versions for very long.  It's not really the best thing to run on a
system that you mostly want to set up and forget about.

Agreed.. the problem with things like CentOS, is that they're kinda behind
the curve somewhat, so if you want (for instance in my case), SATA PM
support, you're realistically looking at FC for that. If you want support
for the new Hauppague capture card, again you're looking at FC, unless
you're prepared to wait around 12 months for that to appear in CentOS. And
for some features, for some people, that's a good trade off.

For instance, I went with CentOS for one of my vmware servers here at home,
but I'm probably going to change it over to ESXi since it's now free (of
course, the fact that I couldn't get the system clock in my guest OSs to
keep time pushed me to do something about it too). The VM box was something
I wanted to set up, get working, and leave the heck alone. Ah well.. :)