[mythtv-users] USB Hard Drive Lifespans and power usage question

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 21:48:40 UTC 2008

On 8/4/08, Steve Peters - Priority Electronics <
steve at priorityelectronics.com> wrote:

> So after finding hddtemp, I was able to get the temps of my drives, but
> only
> the internal ones:
>
> Internal Drives
> /dev/sda: ST3500830A: 53°C
> /dev/sdb: ST3750640AS: 54°C
> /dev/sdc: ST3750640AS: 63°C
> USB External Drives
> /dev/sdd: ST3120814A: S.M.A.R.T. not available
> /dev/sde: ST3500630AS:  drive supported, but it doesn't have a temperature
> sensor.
> /dev/sdf: ST3500830A:  drive supported, but it doesn't have a temperature
> sensor.
>

> Drive /dev/sdc was doing some heavy file copying/backups from one of the
> usb
> drives, so it's temp is way higher than the others. The others 2 internal
> ones sda and sdb are sitting there idle.
>
> Does this temp seem way to high for hard drives? I have had sda and sdb for
> over a year now and have not encountered any issues, but I just want to
> make
> sure I'm not killing these drives with these temps. What kind of temps do
> my
> fellow myth users encounter?
>
> I get :

[root at oscar ~]# hddtemp /dev/sda
/dev/sda: ST3200820AS: 38°C
[root at oscar ~]# hddtemp /dev/sdb
/dev/sdb: ST3750640AS: 40°C
[root at oscar ~]# hddtemp /dev/sdc
/dev/sdc: ST3750640AS: 40°C
[root at oscar ~]# hddtemp /dev/sdd
/dev/sdd: ST3750640AS: 40°C
[root at oscar ~]# hddtemp /dev/sde
/dev/sde: ST3750640AS: 40°C
[root at oscar ~]# hddtemp /dev/sdf
/dev/sdf: ST3750640AS: 40°C

smartctl tells me that 3 of my drives have hit 71°C in the past (which was
clearly not good for them).  Since then I've added 2 additional case fans.
/dev/sde - which was added about 2 months ago, but since I added the new
fans, has only hit a historic high of 51°C.