[mythtv-users] USB Hard Drive Lifespans and power usage question

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Mon Aug 4 21:03:45 UTC 2008

>> I have mine set to 20 mins ie -S240
>>
>> To check that status of the drive use the C option.
>>
>With 20 minutes do you notice any reduced lifespans with your drives.
>I believe that would be hard to determine though. My concern is years
>ago the biggest cause of hard drive failure that I saw at work was
>drives failing to spin up. This is the reason I set mine to 5 hours.
>
>John

So after finding hddtemp, I was able to get the temps of my drives, but only
the internal ones:

Internal Drives
/dev/sda: ST3500830A: 53°C
/dev/sdb: ST3750640AS: 54°C
/dev/sdc: ST3750640AS: 63°C
USB External Drives
/dev/sdd: ST3120814A: S.M.A.R.T. not available
/dev/sde: ST3500630AS:  drive supported, but it doesn't have a temperature
sensor.
/dev/sdf: ST3500830A:  drive supported, but it doesn't have a temperature
sensor.

Drive /dev/sdc was doing some heavy file copying/backups from one of the usb
drives, so it's temp is way higher than the others. The others 2 internal
ones sda and sdb are sitting there idle.

Does this temp seem way to high for hard drives? I have had sda and sdb for
over a year now and have not encountered any issues, but I just want to make
sure I'm not killing these drives with these temps. What kind of temps do my
fellow myth users encounter?

-Thanks
-Steve