[mythtv-users] possible (really cheap) frontend?? will this work?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Aug 3 19:34:54 UTC 2008

Gordon McCrae wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
>> Gordon McCrae wrote:
>>
>>> MediaMVP is a very minimal MythTV frontend (I have three I no longer use).
>>>
>>> Biggest hit is having to keep everything in mpeg2 format, as the divx
>>> workarounds don't scale well, also you don't get all the functionality
>>> of MythTV.
>>>
>>> I'm currently running Wyse V50 thin client (Via C3 1Ghz) quite happily.
>>>

>> Have you blown a Linux kernel into your V50? Some of the Compaq Evo thin
>> clients are actually Wyse units, and I've been wondering what to do with
>> a couple of them that were given to me.
>>
>> beww
>>

> Booting Linux off of USB device, they have a standard BIOS that allows
> USB stick, external drives etc. to boot.
>
> Quite happily runs SD content, even allows some MAME games to run and
> firefox etc.

Guess I'll have to look into it further. I have 3 Compaq Evo T20s. Right
now I'm using their supplied software to remotely log into a Linux box
via xrdp, so I can leave the heat and noise producing machines in the
garage and only have to have a tiny, quiet machine in the LR. I don't
think this would work for video though, as I have only frame buffer type
graphics and a 300Mhz. CPU.

I had one of them apart and noticed that Wyse had built it.

I also have a couple of Media MVPs which work well with Myth, within
their limitations (SD only, need to have mpeg2 etc.).

beww