[mythtv-users] Which 3rd party repository should I use for Fedora 9?

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 13:31:04 UTC 2008

Carlos Javier Borroto wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 5:49 PM, Brad DerManouelian
> <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>
> Well I have never use a Red Hat system for a long period of time in my
> 8 years using Linux, only SuSE, Debian and Ubuntu, the last 2 mainly,
> so I'm feeling that I should test by myself the most commercial
> successful Linux distro and with Fedora also one of the most popular.
> That the main reason, then Hardy I really think it wasn't a good
> release, I'm not talking about Mythbuntu, which I think it was really
> easy to setup, I use Linux in all the desktop computer I use and I
> choose Ubuntu cause it was easy to use for this task, but with Hardy,
> sound is really a mess, I know Pulseaudio is something very useful,
> but the Hardy implementation is not, by the way MythTV doesn't seems
> to support it, then comes the performance, which could be something
> very subjective, but I think is not near what should be, but who knows
> if I'm right, I should test something else. I could be returning to
> Mythbuntu very soon.

If i'm not mistaken, doesn't Fedora 9 also use pulseaudio?  Also, remember that
a pure Mythbuntu box doesn't install pulseaudio because of its deficiencies in
usage and friendliness to mythtv.  If you are installing mythbuntu addons to
ubuntu, you will want to consider installing the ALSA plugin for pulseaudio.  At
that point, you can put in ALSA:pulse into myth and have it work for the most part.

--
Mario Limonciello
mario.mailing at gmail.com