[mythtv-users] DirecTV H21 via S-Video

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Aug 1 03:55:23 UTC 2008

On Jul 31, 2008, at 8:39 PM, jmk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’ve finally gotten around to replacing my oldest DirecTV receiver
> with a H21 and upgrading my dish for HDTV. I’ve reread some of the
> discussions about leveraging the receiver’s anamorphic output to
> maximize the quality of the S-Video signal. Unfortunately, I don’t
> think I fully get it yet. I’m hoping someone can help me tweak my
> setup...
>
> Current relevant MythTV environment: (2) IVTV cards, 1080p 16:9 LCD,
> DirecTV D11, DirecTV H21
>
> H21 Setup:
> - Within the H21, I have an option to specify either 4:3 or 16:9 and
> the format (stretch, pillar, crop). IIRC, I read 4:3 and stretch
> were the recommended pair.

Set it to 16:9.

> - The H21 has a “native” mode which auto-adjusts the resolution. I’m
> assuming this should just be disabled.

Leave it enabled.

> - I’m allowed to tell the device what resolutions my TV supports
> (e.g. 480i/p, 720p, 1080i). If my TV supports them all, any reason
> to not have them all selected? Since S-Video is limited to 480, I’m
> assuming it doesn’t matter.

Make sure they are all enabled.

Basically, let it think it's going to output to a high-def TV, but
then connect the S-video connector and it will scale down correctly
for that output.

> Myth Setup:
> - Under the Recording Profiles settings (Default, Live, etc.), I’m
> able to set aspect ratio and resolution for the ivtv cards. I’m
> assuming this should be 16:9, but I’m not sure on the resolution.
> It’s currently at the default (640x480). I’m guessing I can create
> two different sets of profiles, one for 16:9 content and the other
> for 4:3. This would require me to pick the right one when I set a
> program to record, correct?

I think I bumped mine up to 720x480 since that's the max of s-video,
but I think 640x480 is just fine.

> - IIRC, under the general TV settings, I can set the aspect ratio
> override. If I’ve setup the recording profiles appropriately, this
> isn’t necessary, right?

Yeah, you don't need to do this.

> - It seems the Myth settings will affect both ivtv cards and their
> respective DirecTV content the same. Specifically, is there
> something I should be doing different for the D11 connected ivtv card?

Not sure about this. I went from two D11's to two H21's. I never mixed
them.

> I’m also curious if anyone has attempted to apply the HD-PVR patch
> to –fixes. If it works reasonably well, I’ll just buy one of them
> and actually watch in HD. If I need to be running trunk, I think
> I’ll continue to wait.

I have an HD-PVR but I'm also waiting for support to be added into a
stable release since I have 4 other people relying on my MythTV box.