[mythtv-users] RHEL 5

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 19:47:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 8:37 AM, George Galt <george.galt at gmail.com> wrote:

>  The trick with CentOS is to do a yum install mythtv-suite, which will
>  fail.  Get a list of missing dependencies from the output from yum.
>  You will then need to enable the atrpms-testing repo (edit
>  /etc/yum.repos.d/atrpms.repo and change "enabled=0" to "enable=1" in
>  the section labeled "[atrpms-testing]") and attempt to individually
>  install each of the missing dependencies.  If you can't figure out
>  what package provides a missing dependency type "yum whatprovides
>  <dependency>" and it should tell you.
>
>  At the end of it all, there will still be one missing dependency (I
>  can't remember what it is).  I found it at Dag Wieers' site
>  (http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/).  Install it.
>
>  Then **and this is important** re-edit /etc/yum.repos.d/atrpms.repo
>  and change "enabled=1" back to "enable=0" in the section labeled
>  "[atrpms-testing]".  It is important to **not** use atrpms-testing for
>  production systems that you want to be stable -- you may certainly use
>  it if you want the latest and greatest and want to help Axel test
>  things.

Rather than edit (and re-edit) /etc/yum.repos.d/atrpms.repo, just add
this option to the yum command line:
--enablerepo=atrpms-testing

so the package(s) from atrpms-testing get installed like:
yum -y --enablerepo=atrpms-testing install <insert-package-names-here>

This way, the atrpms-testing repository is only enabled for the
duration of the yum command where it is needed.

Craig.