[mythtv-users] DVD jukebox?

William Munson william_munson at comcast.net
Tue Apr 29 21:55:50 UTC 2008

Ignacio Valdes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I work in a mental hospital. We frequently have very agitated, upset
> people in the hospital that sometimes have to wait for what can be a
> lengthy admissions process. We have had great success in calming
> things down with good G-rated type DVD movies on a Panasonic 5 disc
> DVD player. The problem is that it is semi-automatic, you still have
> to press change DVD and the play button several times to get past the
> main menu and other stuff. When things are really hopping, it is a
> pain to tend the machine.
>
> 1) Is there a player such as MythTV that we could simply load our
> 10-15 original store bought DVD's and play them without intervention
> for days at a time?

Yes, its very simple under linux. As simple as a endless loop script
that plays your ripped dvds in order forever. Turn the computer on and
it will simply start playing after booting.
> 2) Is this something that MythTV or others that can handle this in a
> fully-automatic way?
> 3) Does someone have something like this for sale so that I don't have
> to configure much? If so, where?

Depending on your comfort level with linux it is something that you
could do over a weekend yourself with some guidance or I am sure you can
find someone to do the work for you. I could do it for you quite
reasonably if you are interested. Contact me off-list.

William