[mythtv-users] DVD jukebox?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Apr 29 21:19:25 UTC 2008

On Apr 29, 2008, at 3:06 PM, Yan Seiner wrote:
> Yabbut....  The OP wants to play his store-bought DVDs, not rips.
> With a
> hospital, I would assume that ripping might be frowned upon by the
> powers
> that be.  Thus the rack-o-DVD players.  Plus it doesn't require any
> technical expertise; just power up the machine, shove DVDs in there,
> and
> go away.  When the time comes to change movies, push the eject button,
> stick a new DVD in.
>
> I would definitely rip and play.  But in a comercial setting I can
> see the
> benefit of multiple players.

If you want to be *totally* legal I suspect that this would be
considered a "public performance", and therefore playing "store
bought" DVDs in any manner would be a violation of  "licensed only for
private viewing in homes... any other use constitutes..."

Personally I'd guess you would not really have to worry about the FBI
or other local authority crashing your doors in, but I'm not an
attorney, nor do I play one on TV.

I guess to be totally safe you would have to obtain public performance
rights for each of the DVDs, probably a lengthy and difficult procedure.

I ran into a similar situation in trying to donate DVDs to a local
V.A. Hospital, they were unwilling to take the risk.

I think you really have to consult an attorney who is up on the
current law on these matters in your jurisdiction.

Silly, I know, but the law is the law...

beww