[mythtv-users] OT: MythtvOSD & Multicast issues?

Ben Lancaster mail at benlancaster.co.uk
Tue Apr 29 12:34:32 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm having trouble with Multicast and the mythtvosd command. When I
attempt to send a (valid) mythtvosd alert, I'm told "sendto: operation
not permitted". Similarly, ping -t 1 -c 2 224.0.0.1 gives the same output.

I'm presuming that the issue lies somewhere on my network, which is
organised as follows: ADSL Router (DHCP Server), directly plugged in to
an ethernet Hub and a Wireless access point (acting as a bridge). My
master backend/living room front-end is plugged in to the wired hub, and
my slave backend/network-storage and an additional front-end are plugged
in to the access point (by ethernet). On the slave backend (which
doubles up as a mailserver, db server, web server) is protected by APF
and BFD, could these be causing the problem?

Forgive my ignorance, I know very little about networking and iptables!

Thanks in advance,

Ben