[mythtv-users] Newbie Q's.

Francis Hartojo fhartojo at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 17:43:42 UTC 2008

> Sounds more like a driver module problem than a myth problem.  Do you
> use the machine for other things?  In my experience 3GB is plenty or
> RAM for mythtv and the benefits of 64bit over 32bit are marginal.

Not at the moment.  Although I am planning to use the MySQL installation and the extra disk space as a DB engine and general purpose storage.

Which driver are you referring to?  The one for the pcHDTV card?  If I have time, I'll build it natively and see if it works any better.

> Again this doesn't really sound like a mythtv issue.  If I understand
> you correctly myth is unaware of the channel change so the delay is
> caused by your capture card card driver coping with the garbage that
> comes out of your STB when it changes channels.
>
> The standard mythtv configuration would be to fix your capture card
> (using mythtv-setup) to channel 3 and then let mythtv do the channel
> change.  (Of course you'll need a serial connection or IR-Blaster to
> achieve this, so it may not suit your needs).  Myth will then manage
> your capture card during the channel change. In this configuration,
> channel change speeds for Live TV tend to be in the 2s - 5s range,
> with some people reporting longer.

That's how it's configured now, sans the IR blaster.  So, when it comes, I'll try that and see how well it works.  Worse comes to worst, I'll go back to Cox and see if they'll exchange the STB with one that's more current with a working firewire port.

> Listing data?
>
> The behaviour of mythtv is a bit unpredictable if you don't have any
> schedule information in the database, particularly if you're expecting
> it to behave like a dumb VCR.

Sorry, forgot to mention, I do have Schedules Direct program guide data.  I can see them just fine.

I did try to use the program guide screen to schedule a recording (i.e., go to the timeslot I want on channel 3 and schedule to record that), but still nothing on the Upcoming Recording page.  Any further suggestions?

Thank you for your response.

--
Francis Hartojo
echo "sunegbwb at lnubb.pbz" | tr '[a-z]' '[n-za-m]'