[mythtv-users] slow mythweb?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 28 14:54:47 UTC 2008

On 04/28/2008 10:45 AM, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> OK.
>>> Before I started I tried the frontend and the frontend DOES create mpegs
>>> on the harddisk when watching TV.
>>>
>> Frontend never creates recording files.
>>
> I caused them to be created, then.

No, the backend created them because the frontend requested LiveTV.

>> If what you're saying is that LiveTV works, but recordings don't,
> How can it be that:
>
> The backend cannot create recordings by itself *but* it suddenly /can/
> when an extra program (the frontend) is involved which causes the
> backend to perform it's duty?

Because the frontend is asking for LiveTV, not recording of a specific
channel.

> This means that he backend knows enough to write files.

Yep.

> This means that he backend knows enough to receive TV.

Yep, but not the channels you've configured on the cards you've configured.

> Yet it doesn't make recordings when acting alone.

Because of the above.

>  It can't talk to itself?

Not quite.

>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 --which
>>
> which says do it all again.
>
>> is exactly what I was trying to tell you when I said that your having to
>> change the hostname manually and directly in the DB indicates you have
>> not configured your system properly.
>>
> But what is probably missing?
> Please: Anything a bit more specific?

Nope.  The reason I recommend the start-over approach with video source
(and, therefore, channel) configuration and sometimes also the
start-over approach with capture cards is because there are so many ways
it can be misconfigured that it's not worth trying to figure out what's
wrong.  It's also the same reason I never fix a Windows installation
that doesn't work properly--it's quicker and easier to reinstall from
scratch (though what I'm suggesting is more akin to reinstalling from an
image since setting up video sources/capture cards only takes a couple
of minutes).

Mike