[mythtv-users] HDTV solution @1080i ???

zoiks2004-ivtv at yahoo.com zoiks2004-ivtv at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 06:04:15 UTC 2008

--- Dean Harding <dean.harding at dload.com.au> wrote:

> zoiks2004-ivtv at yahoo.com wrote:
> I don't remember the exact model number, but it's
> got VGA & HDMI inputs,
> and I found the VGA input actually looked better...
> why would think it
> would have to do any scaling? VGA itself can handle
> higher resolutions
> than HD TV (my old CRT monitor at work used to run
> at 1600x1200 for
> example).

Welp, I was looking at some Sharp Aquos models which
have VGA inputs, and the manuals listed all the
supported modes for that input fall short of full
1080x1920 resolution (though the TVs themselves are
native 1080x1920 and it can handle full res with
component or HDMI inputs). Here's a manual:

http://www.sharpusa.com/files/tel_man_LC42_46_52D64U.pdf

It shows a highest rest for VGA input to be
1600x1200 at 60Hz. No 1080 mode. Also, at least some of
the LG models only go to 1360x768 for the VGA input.

Googling around I saw other people complaining about
the same thing with other TVs. Somewhere (can't
remember) I saw it claimed that VGA inputs typically
don't support 1080x1920 because it's not a true VGA
mode.

In any event I'm pretty sure I can do 1080p/i with
Y-Pb-Pr on a Sharp TV, but it would be nice to have a
digital link via HDMI -> HDMI or DVI -> HDMI (with
separate sound). This seems to be the part that gets
more sketchy.