[mythtv-users] Help troubleshooting why remote frontends not able to connect after upgrade - resolved!

Paul D. Cnudde cnuddep at rogers.com
Sun Apr 27 21:20:28 UTC 2008

Paul D. Cnudde wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 04/26/2008 01:43 PM, Paul D. Cnudde wrote:
>>

>>> Greetings,
>>> I recently upgraded my mythboxen to 0.21 using the debian packages from
>>> debian-multimedia .  My setup is 1 BE\FE and 2 remote frontends.  All
>>> was working perfectly before the upgrade.
>>>
>>> When trying to watch recordings on remote frontends this is what i get
>>> after the upgrade:
>>>
>>> Could not connect to the master backend server -- is it running?  Is the
>>> IP address set for it in the setup program correct?
>>>
>>> The frontend on the server runs without issue.
>>>
>>> I stopped the backend , ran mythtv-setup and re-entered the IP address
>>> (192.168.1.3) of my server as well creating a PIN, then restarted the
>>> backend.
>>> On the remote machine I removed all mysql.txt and config.xml files and
>>> launched mythfrontend. The frontend setup screen is presented, after I
>>> selected the Language, I select the Backend server which is displayed,
>>> get prompted for the PIN, save the backend setting but still can't
>>> connect. I Check the config.xml and mysql.txt file and the right IP is
>>> there - 192.168.1.3.
>>>

>> Those are the IP address for the MySQL database.
>>

>>> When I run mythfrontend -v all from a command line I can see quite
>>> clearly that it has no problem logging in to the database and executing
>>> queries. When I select Media Library -> Watch recordings  for some
>>> reason it is trying to connect to a backend server on the local machine.
>>>
>>> Connecting to backend server: localhost:6543 (try 1 of 5)
>>>
>>> of course there isn't one and it times out and fails.  I have double
>>> checked the backend settings and the config.xml and mysql.txt files on
>>> both the backend and the frontend, all the IP addresses are consistent -
>>> 192.168.1.3.  I have run queries against the settings table in the
>>> mythconverg db looking for anything with localhost and nothing turns up.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know why my remote frontends would persist in trying to
>>> connect to a backend on localhost?
>>>
>>> Eternal gratitude comes your way for any suggestions
>>> thanks
>>>

>> Sounds like you configured your master backend with:
>>
>> IP address
>> The IP address of the master backend server. All frontend and non-master
>> backend machines will connect to this server.  If you only have one
>> backend, this should be the same IP address as above.
>>
>> set to 127.0.0.1.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Thanks,
> I configured my master backend server with the IP address of the machine
> it runs on, 192.168.1.3, this worked before.  For the sake of argument I
> set it back to 127.0.0.1, but still I get no joy. In fact the frontend
> setup program doesn't even detect the Backend sever if I do that, and
> doesn't prompt me for a PIN.  I set it back to 192.168.1.3.
>
> Below is an excerpt from the front end logs:

> [...]
Thanks to everyone who responded, I managed to fix my issue.  It was
certainly not a permissions or security issue on the database as I could
log in to it across the network by issuing the following command from my
remote frontend machine:
mysql -u mythtv -p -h 192.168.1.3 mythconverg

I had checked and rechecked all my backend settings and all seemed in
order, so I figured there must be something in the settings table that
just wasn't right, that once I went through the upgrade was somehow
preventing me from connecting to the backend daemon from my remote
frontends.  I took a rather drastic step I ran the following queries
against mythconverg:

delete from settings where hostname = 'potato'; --potato is the name of
my backend server
then
delete from settings where hostname = 'poobah'; --poobah is the name of
my remote frontend

I stopped the backend and ran mythtv-setup, put in the appropriate
values for the master server IP address (the same as before) made sure
all my cards, sources, channels and so on were still there, thankfully
they are stored in a different table.
I started up my backend and presto, I could connect from my remote
frontend again (after I set it up of course).

Apologies to Christian Marillat for doubting his packages.

cheers