[mythtv-users] Problems installing FE only on Mythbuntu 8.04

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 20:19:41 UTC 2008

My main MythTV box is a Mythbuntu 7.10-based FE/BE combo. It's running 0.21.
I'm trying to install the new Mythbuntu 8.04 as a Frontend-only machine on
another machine, but when I tell it to build an FE only, it can't connect to
my backend. Even worse, it won't let me ignore the error and continue. I've
configured my main machine with a setup PIN of 0000 (allow any host) and I
can stream TV using MythTV Player for Windows, so I don't believe there's a
connection or security issue in MySQL. Am I missing something? Is there any
way to ignore the error, build an FE-only system, and figure out the bug
afterwards? Seems like a poor UI design unless I'm missing something
obvious.

On another note, there's some option to magically pull the info from my
existing Myth setup without any other intervention. How does this work?